Thursday, January 29, 2009

My First Day in Khartoum
























Where am I? That's right I’m in Khartoum in the middle of the dessert. Already this place feels magical. It’s early in the morning the sky has a warm orange haze to it. My house is surrounded by buildings that look like they are in need of major repair. Its 7 in the morning and already the city has come to life. Horns are honking and below me my security guard is talking to his friend. For breakfast its muesli (gluten free) and fresh mango. To my pleasure mangos are plentiful here. I am picked up at 10 for an orientation of my new school. Seatbelts are nonexistent this is a little disturbing when all the cars have scraps and dents on them. I can't believe I am finally here I almost have to pinch myself. It feels so surreal. It is everything I expected and more. The school is about 10 min drive. I can't believe how hot it is and this is their winter I can't possibly imagine how summer will feel like. I have been told that it’s too hot to even venture outside in summer. I will look forward to our New Zealand winter. I am shown around the school and introduced to many teachers but I have already forgotten their names. I do seem to remember the finance officer though funny that. I will have to explain what the school is like once I am familiar with it at this stage that part of the morning was a blur. I am now at home enjoying the cool breeze of the aircon. I am being picked up soon to go shopping hmmm let’s see on my shopping list is chickpeas, lentils, veges and if I can find some decent coffee. Brian would be horrified to see what I had this morning.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Hannah - thanks so much for the information! I like it .... Im sitting indoors Sunday morning very hot here already they say its a heatwave temps of >40 each day for most of the week and it doesnt get much cooler at night. Thanksfully I have aircon at work but not at home so the nights are sticky. Im so pleased you made it and are wowed by the daily experiences. sounds awesome would love to visit if you stil around. Keep safe love Lou x

    ReplyDelete